seahorse-2.22.3 segfaults

After updating my gentoo-linux boxes I recognized enigmail asking for the password multiple times when decrypting a single mail. Some days later, when I rebooted the system gnome did not start anymore.

A quick look into my/var/log/messages showed:

Oct  2 10:50:43 hostname seahorse-agent[419]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000432fb8 sp 00007fff01ceb150 error 4 in seahorse-agent[400000+50000]
Oct  2 10:50:43 hostname seahorse-agent[419]: init_gpgme: assertion `GPG_IS_OK (err)’ failed
Oct  2 10:50:43 hostname seahorse-agent[419]: seahorse_pgp_source_init: assertion `GPG_IS_OK (err)’ failed
Oct  2 10:50:43 hostname seahorse-agent[419]: unsupported key server uri scheme: ldap

So I suspected seahorse to be responsible for this missbehaviour. When searching the net for the problem I found the corresponding bug entry on bugs.gentoo.org. The problem was caused by some changes in gpgme-1.2.0.  The patch from there solved the problem for me. After reemerging seahorse and rebooting the system gnome did start again and enigmail worked properly.

You may download the ebuild I used from here: seahorse-2.22.3_overlay.tar.gz (498)

Extract the archive in /usr/local/portage. Be sure to include the following line in your /etc/make.conf:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=”/usr/local/portage”

Then emerge seahorse again and reboot.

regards

Jürgen

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

nvidia-drivers-180.37 causing strange segfaults

Today, while performing a large world upgrade on my gento x86_64 system, I noticed almost every build segfaulting (internal compiler error…). In the meanwhile I was encoding several videos (xvid) with avidemux. thus I had a somewhat high memory usage. Some of the avidemux processes also segfaulted. I noticed these segfaults also yesterday, but thought something was wrong with my video files. After many segfaults the system then ran completely out of memory and I had to reboot.

Because of my last experience with nvidias drivers (see: CTRL-C and CTRL-Z not working after nvidia-driver upgrade and high CPU usage) the nvidia-driver was my first supective. So I masked off nvidia-drivers-180.37 and downgraded to 180.29 again. Afterwads the segfaults didn’t occur anymore.

NVIDIA should really do better testing with their drivers before releasing.  Errors like this are normally extremely hard to track down, since nobody would suspect the graphics driver to be the reason for this. Well, in this case intuition saved me a lot of time…

regards

Jürgen

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...