Wrong units in gnome-sensors-applet

A while ago I noticed my gnome-sensors-applet displaying wrong units for some sensors. I.e. it displayed an “A” next to a fan sensor value.  Since I had the same problem once before I remembered quickly how to solve it. Because I did not find anything about this problem in the web, I decided to write this post.

The reason for the wrong units is wrong data stored in gconf. Each sensor has a type. If this type is stored wrong the applets configuration the applet displays the wrong unit for the sensor. Sensor types I know are:

  • 0 – current (A)
  • 1 – fan (RPM)
  • 2 – temperature (C or F, depends on selection)
  • 3 – voltage (V)

To change the applets configuration to the right sensor types start gconf-editor.

Search for the key name sensors_applet_version. At the same location you will find the properties of the sensors applet. Then open (doubleclick onto each)  the keys ids or labels and sensor_types edit key pages and move them next to each other to identify which sensor type entry belongs to which sensor.

gconf_gnome_sensors_units

Now change sensors with wrong type settings to the correct ones. Then from console issue a killall gnome-panel to force the configuration to get reloaded. Afterwards you should get the correct unit being displayed next to your sensor data.

Jürgen

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...